07 January 2014

Shufflin' through the Polar Vortex!

Given the formidable temperatures of these last few days, I have done nothing even remotely akin to 'training' so far in 2014. But that all changes TODAY!

For the first time in too long, I'm headed back to spinning class tonight. Actually, last semester was the first class session I've missed in a couple years, now. (Note to self:  the class WILL be full if you fail to sign up in time!). I'm signed up through May now, and am very much looking forward to getting back in to it. Having been away from it for a few months, I'm certain it will be quite the kick-start to my training.

Additionally, I'll also be attending my first ever Zumba class this week! My mom, sister, and at least one sister-in-law are all signed up as well. Frankly, it just sounded like it could be pretty fun. I'm sure it will mostly consist of us all stumbling around, giggling, exasperated by our complete lack of coordination. But laughter can be a good work out, too, right? More importantly, though, it will theoretically provide some light cardio work, and it will be inside! And most importantly, I'm going to make a concentrated effort to head over to the 'cardio room' after class to finally do some actual yogging on a treadmill. Eventually I hope to start doing this after spinning class and on a few other days of the week as well. I know I've got a lot of ground to make up, but I don't want to totally burn out after just a month or two, either.

Without a doubt, treadmill running is not my favorite. Not only can I never seem to sync up my pace with the speed of the machine, but trying to pretend like I'm not inside a stuffy room with a bunch of other people takes a lot of mental effort for me. If for no other reason than just safety alone, I do wish I enjoyed running with other people, but honestly, one of the most appealing things about running for me is the chance to enjoy my own company for a bit. I love the excuse to just listen to some music, check out the scenery, and revel in my own head-space for a few miles. I'm cautiously looking forward to the challenge of trying to entertain myself through an entire marathon...

As it stands currently, though, it's really cold outside, and the very last thing I want to do is slip on some ice. So, I'm sticking to my indoor options for now. If you've never tried a spinning class before, I highly recommend it. I always thought it sounded ridiculous, but in my experience, it's pretty fantastic. Not all classes are created equal, though. For certain, a good instructor (with good taste in music) makes all the difference! I absolutely suggest checking out a class or two if you're looking for some indoor fitness this winter.

That all being said, I leave you now with one of my favorite bits from the gang on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia:


No comments:

Post a Comment